Flagstaff's First Climate Action and Adaptation Plan
What's happening now?
The official Climate Action and Adaptation Plan process began in fall 2017. Some highlights of our work so far:
- The Climate Profile details historic climate patterns trends in Flagstaff and Coconino County, and lays out what climate change in Flagstaff could look like in the future.
- We hosted our first Community Open House and Flagstaff Community Forum in January. The Planning team is now writing the first drafts of the Plan using this feedback.
- We created a Community Engagement Strategy to set a strategic direction for how we will work with community members to get input on this plan.
- We formed a Steering Committee of community members and City staff to guide the development of the Climate Plan.
- The Steering Committee is developing preliminary goals and strategies for the Climate Plan.
- We'll share goal and strategy proposals and get community feedback at the April and May Open Houses.
- After that, we will work to refine the Plan goals, strategies and actions according to community feedback, expert input, feasibility, and other criteria.
- This will all be compiled into the first draft of the Plan, which will be delivered to the community in late June.
How do I get involved?
April Coffee and Climate
Wednesday, April 11th
8:00 am - 10:00 am
Single Speed Coffee Cafe
2 S. Beaver Street, Suite #170
Want to talk to City staff about climate change in Flagstaff or the upcoming Climate Plan? Stop by our coffee and climate sessions, held in the second week of every month. We will visit a different Flagstaff coffee shop each month.
Spring Open Houses
We will have two Community Open Houses this Spring. Both Open Houses will provide the same content.
Spring Open House #1
April 21st, 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Earth Day at Bushmaster Park, 3150 N Alta Vista Drive
Spring Open House #2
Murdoch Center, 203 E. Brannen Avenue
What is a Climate Plan?
Climate Plans are comprehensive roadmaps that outline the specific activities that a community will take to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change.
The Flagstaff Climate Action and Adaptation Plan will create a roadmap to coordinate climate preparedness and emissions reductions activities. The Plan will take into account the projected climate changes in Northern Arizona, Flagstaff's greenhouse gas emissions, community vulnerabilities, and the priorities, ideas and concerns of Flagstaff residents. The Plan will recommend the actions that achieve the greatest emission reductions or improve community resiliency.
We aim to build a plan that will rally the community around strong climate action that have multiple community benefits. Learn more about climate change in Arizona, or explore other cities' climate action plans.
Next Flagstaff Community Forum topic: Open from mid-April to mid-May.
The final Community Forum will be open in July. Subscribe to Flagstaff Community Forum updates to be notified of the next Forum opportunity.
Sign up for the Climate Plan newsletter
Public Input So Far
Here's what we heard from the Community in January
View our Public Input Summary for the January Open House and the Community Forum. For more details:
- Check out the Open House presentation, educational materials and display boards here.
- See the Community Forum topic to view more results about climate change concerns, priorities, and actions. Over 150 community members contributed their ideas!
Disclaimer: Neither the Climate program nor any of its partners endorse a particular business, company or any organization through the Climate Plan website. Neither the Climate program nor any of its partners make any warranty, expressed or implied, or assume any legal liability or responsibility, for the businesses, organizations, products or processes identified or disclosed in the Climate Plan website.