Submitting a Claim

If you have incurred costs for which you believe the City may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below for the City to consider your claim. In order for your claim to be valid, you must fully and accurately comply with Arizona Revised StatuteSection §12-821, et seq. A.R.S. §12-821, et seq. requires the claim be filed within 180 days after the cause of action accrues, and requires that the City receives notification in writing. The notice of claim form (PDF) is provided for your convenience. Your returned form should be accurately completed, printed, and signed by the claimant.

You may mail or personally deliver the form in hard copy format to:

City of Flagstaff
City Clerk's Office
211 W Aspen Avenue
Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Please provide as much information as necessary to describe the event, advise why you believe the City of Flagstaff is responsible, and the damages sustained to expedite the claims process.

Following Receipt

After the claim has been received by our office:

  1. An investigation will be conducted. Claims are usually processed within 45 days after receipt by our office. When filling out the form, please be as detailed and accurate as possible to expedite the investigation process.
  2. Provide written justification for the amount of loss indicated on the form.
    • Property damage claims require an estimate and photographs of the damage.
    • Bodily injury claims should be accompanied by unaltered copies of bills from treating physician(s) or other expenses incurred from the injury sustained.

Further Information requested by this office does not mean that your claim has been accepted for payment nor does it mean the City of Flagstaff accepts liability. Any information provided will be evaluated as part of the investigation process.

City Not Responsible for Cost

The City will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the City committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage.

Contact Insurer

We suggest that you contact your own insurer regarding damages-if the insurer believes the City is responsible for you damage they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy.