Small Business Waste Program (SBWP)
Program Goal and Benefits
The SBWP provides a safe, affordable and ecologically appropriate option for small businesses to dispose of hazardous waste in accordance with Local, State, and Federal regulations
By providing a local facility for Flagstaff and Coconino County businesses to drop off their hazardous waste, the SBWP helps offset the cost of storage and transportation by bulking business hazardous waste together and transporting them offsite to one of our many waste disposal vendors.
Businesses can generate many of the following products, but are not limited to the scope of the following list:
- Petroleum products
- Paints, dyes, printing inks, thinners, solvents, or cleaning fluids
- Pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, or rodenticides
- Materials that dissolve metals, paints, paper, or clothing
- Flammable or combustible materials
- Universal waste such as batteries and fluorescent lamps containing mercury
- Products that are accompanied by a Safety Data Sheet (SDS), shipping label or placard, indicating that the product is hazardous, corrosive, flammable, toxic, ignitable, or reactive.
Requirements for use of the SBWP:
All businesses looking to utilize the SBWP must qualify as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG)
According to federal regulations (EPA 40 CFR 262.14), a VSQG is a generator (business owner) that meets the following three criteria:
- Accumulates 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) or less of acute hazardous waste in a calendar month.
- Accumulates 100 kg (220 lbs.) or less of non-acute hazardous waste in a calendar month
- Accumulates 1000 kg (2200 lbs.) or less of non-acute hazardous waste at any given time
Participating in the SBWP
- Call the Flagstaff Hazardous Products Center at (928) 213-2159, or send an email to email@example.com to see if your business is eligible for the SBWP.
- Review the VSQG requirements (above) and review the transportation and costs associated with your waste(s).
- Complete and submit the online Generator Certification Electronic Form
- After your Generator Certification has been reviewed, the SBWP will contact your business to schedule an appointment. Appointments are made one week in advance. A detailed inventory of your hazardous waste is required, along with any associated SDS's pertaining to your hazardous waste.
If you do not qualify for the SBWP, HPC staff will help give you some options for disposal of your hazardous waste.