Frequently Asked Questions

How Can I Apply for Housing Assistance?

The City of Flagstaff Housing Authority has waiting lists for its Conventional Housing program and Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program.

The Section 8 wait list is currently closed as of October 10, 2017 at 11:30am.

To apply for the Public Housing Program, you can come to the Housing Authority office at 3481 North Fanning Drive, weekdays from 8:30 to 11:30 AM and 1:30 to 4:30 PM. If you are unable to come to the office to fill out an application, you may mail in a written request for an application to be mailed to you, or you may submit a request by e-mail.

Our mailing address is PO Box 2098, Flagstaff, AZ 86003.

Do you have any emergency housing options available?

The City of Flagstaff Housing Authority does not have emergency housing available. We house applicants off of the waiting list based on the date and time of their application. Applicants must submit an application to be placed on the waiting list in order to receive housing.

Can you expedite my application due to my individual circumstances?

No. Despite individual circumstances, each applicant must be placed on the waiting list, and go through the eligibility interview process based on the date and time they applied, in order to receive housing.

How do I check on the status of my application?

In order to check on the status of your application, you can come to the office or submit a written request for a status update. Status updates cannot be given out over the phone to protect your privacy.

How often do I need to check on my application?

We ask that you report any changes that occur in your address, household composition, employment and income to the Housing Authority while you are on the waiting list. If you do not experience any of these changes, it is recommended that you check on your application and confirm your continued interest in the program once every 6-12 months.

All changes must be made in writing, either by filling out an Applicant Update Form in the office or by sending written statement in the mail.

I am interested in Porting to Flagstaff with my Section 8 Voucher. How do I do that?

Please keep in mind that porting (relocating) to a new place with your Section 8 voucher is not an instantaneous process. Plan on at least a month for all of the necessary paperwork to be completed. You will need to discuss your intention to port with your current caseworker. Once we receive the necessary paperwork, our portability specialist will contact you for an appointment.

How can I contribute to the monthly newsletter?

If you have information to contribute to the monthly newsletter, please contact the Public Housing Director or by email or by calling (928) 213-2730.

I am already a participant in one of the Housing Authority's programs. My re-certification date isn't for 3 more months. Why do I have to return my re-certification paperwork already?

Federal law requires that we begin your re-certification process 3 months in advance, in order to allow for sufficient time to complete all of the requirements, collect all the paperwork, make necessary changes, and inform you of any adjustments to your monthly rent. Please be sure to return all required paperwork by the deadline given to you by your caseworker.