La Plaza Vieja Project Archive
La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Specific Plan
The La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Specific Plan was unanimously adopted by Flagstaff City Council on October 20, 2015, with an effective date of November 19, 2015. The plan underwent a series of reviews by Flagstaff Commissions and Advisory Committees. In addition to the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Plan has also been recommended for approval by the Historic Preservation Commission, the Transportation Commission and the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committees. The Parks and Recreation Commission reviewed and supported the plan but did not make a formal motion.
The final version of the Specific Plan, along with several important maps and supplemental documents:
- La Plaza Vieja Historical Context Report (PDF)
- La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Specific Plan (PDF)
- Public Participation Plan (PDF)
Chapters of Plan
The Neighborhood Plan is divided into four chapters:
- Site and Area Analysis - describes the social, economic, physical and environmental context of the planning effort.
- Concept Plan - provides a visual illustration of the desired outcome of the goals and policies. These illustrations are not standards or guidelines for future development and do not encumber private property or limit private property rights in any way.
- Recommended Goals and Policies - provides area-specific ways of moving forward the goals and policies of the Flagstaff Regional Plan 2030. They are connected to policies in the Regional Plan and trade-offs of community values and resources. They are written broadly, and are intended to be viable for a 10 to 20 year planning horizon.
- Implementation Strategies - provide a complete and essential picture of how the City and LPVNA can achieve the goals and policies of the Plan. Having strategies as part of the Plan allows both organizations to build partnerships, apply for grant funding, and take advantage of opportunities that arise in the future in a well-coordinated manner. Some of these strategies may not be immediately implementable but may be possible within the 10 to 20 year planning horizon.
La Plaza Vieja Public Meetings
The La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Specific Plan was unanimously adopted by Council on Tuesday October 20, 2015. The effective date of the Plan is November 19, 2015. View the video.
City Council Work Session - October 13, 2015
This work session addressed final questions the Council had about the Plan and public comment was taken.
Transportation Commission (TC) - Wednesday September 30, 2015 at 4 pm
Staff presented the revised streets scenarios to the Commission and presented all feedback gathered from the Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committees.
Planning & Zoning (PZ) Commission Public Hearing Number 2 - Wednesday September 23, 2015 at 4 pm
The Commission reviewed the Plan and recommended that the document be approved with the condition that staff work with the neighborhood and business community to adjust the boundary of the Transition Area and the Commercial Edge.
- PZ Public Hearing Presentation (PDF) (video link)
- PZ Public Hearing Staff Summary
- Replacement pages (PDF)
Historic Preservation Commission - Wednesday September 16, 2015 at 4 pm
Staff presented all historic/cultural preservation related policy and received a recommendation to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
Planning & Zoning (PZ) Commission Public Hearing Number 1 - Wednesday September 9, 2015 at 4 pm
Bike / Pedestrian Advisory Committees - Wednesday September 3, 2015 at 4:30 pm & Thursday September 10, 2015 at 4:30 pm
Staff presented the public hearing draft to the Committees and gathered feedback on bicycle and pedestrian related policy, with conditional recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Bike Advisory Committee (BAC) Presentation (PDF)
- BAC Staff Memo (PDF)
- Pedestrian Advisory Commitee (PAC) Presentation (PDF)
- PAC Staff Memo (PDF)
Planning & Zoning Commission Citizen Review Session - Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 4 pm
Staff presented PZ Commissioners with the initial public hearing draft, which included all public comments from the 60 day public review period.
Parks & Recreation Commission - Wednesday August 19, 2015 @ 4 pm
Staff presented the public hearing draft to the Commissioners and gathered feedback on park related policy.
- Parks and Recreation Commission Presentation (video link)
- Parks and Recreation Commission Staff Memo (PDF)
Neighborhood Meeting - Saturday July 11, 2015 from 10 am to Noon
Staff held a neighborhood meeting at Old Town Springs Park. The focus of this meeting was the neighborhood area north of the railroad tracks. View the meeting summary (PDF).
La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Association (LPVNA) Meeting - Wednesday July 8, 2015 at 6 pm
LPVNA held an Open House on the Draft Plan on at McCracken Plaza 397 S Malpais Lane. View the meeting summary (PDF).
City Council Work Session - June 9, 2015 at 6 pm
The draft Plan went to a work session to discuss the draft Plan and Councilmembers provided their feedback.
Planning & Zoning Work Session - Wednesday April 22, 2015 at 4 pm
The draft Plan went to a work session with the Planning and Zoning Commission, and the public provided feedback on the draft Plan to be addressed in the 60 day public review draft.
Workshops & Open House
In-depth neighborhood meetings that helped shape the Plan were held in January 2015 at Our Lady of Guadalupe Chapel. Meeting notes, poster displays and handout materials are available for download below.
Land Use Workshop - Wednesday January 21, 2015 at 6 to 8 pm
Land use issues, such as zoning and Regional Plan direction, and a discussion of La Plaza Vieja's neighborhood character were covered at this workshop.
- Existing Conditions Posters (PDF)
- Possibilities Posters (PDF)
- Zoning Map (PDF)
- Regional Plan Illustration (PDF)
- Prop 207 Handout (PDF)
- Zoning primer (PDF)
- Regional Plan Primer (PDF)
- Floodplain Primer (PDF)
- Terminology PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- Discussion Questions (PDF)
- Meeting Notes (PDF)
Transportation Workshop - Monday January 26, 2015 at 6 to 8 pm
Staff discussed traffic issues in and around the La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood at a regional and local level. Residents will learn about upcoming traffic studies and evaluate several concepts for future transportation projects in the area.
- Clay Avenue Extension Posters (PDF)
- Bike/Pedestrian Safety and Crossings Posters (PDF)
- Traffic Micro-Simulation Posters (PDF)
- Traffic 101 PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- Micro-Simulation Bundles Analysis (PDF)
- Milton Alternative Configurations (PDF)
- Funding Exercise (PDF)
- Meeting Notes (PDF)
Open House - Thursday January 29, 2015 at 6 to 8 pm
Staff was available to review all aspects of the plan in an informal setting, including topics not covered in the workshops.
- Parks Map (PDF)
- Parks Policy Review (PDF)
- Utilities Map (PDF)
- Historic Resources Map (PDF)
- Historic Resources Handout (PDF)
Kickoff Meeting- Wednesday November 12, 2014 at 6 to 8 pm
Our kickoff meeting with the La Plaza Vieja Neighborhood Association was held at the High Country Conference Center. The public gave their comments on the existing goals and policies and the Concept Plan.
- Agenda (PDF)
- Presentation (PDF)
- Concept Plan (PDF) (updated to show new buildings)
- Existing Conditions Aerial
- Meeting Notes (PDF)
If you would like to submit comments on any of these materials, please send them to: Sara Dechter via email or Jennifer Mikelson via email. Comments can also be dropped off in person at the Community Development counter in City Hall.