Frequently Asked Questions about Your Water

How do I get my water turned off if I have a leak?
Call the emergency phone number at (928) 774-0262

Where is my water meter? Call the Customer Service Division to get your meter location at (928) 213-2231.

What’s my water pressure? Your water pressure depends on your elevation and pressure zone. Call Utilities Administration at (928) 213-2400 and we can check our pressure map for your approximate water pressure should be.

Where did my water pressure go? Some homes have pressure-reducing valves located on the customer side of the meter box. These devices will occasionally fail and are your responsibility to repair or replace. Call us at (928) 774-0262 and we will be happy to help you determine the problem.

Why is my water bill so high? Check to see if your bill was estimated last month. If so, this month may include water that was not in the estimate. The average Flagstaff residential customer uses 65-–100 gallons per day. If your water consumption exceeds this amount per household member, you may have a leak. The most common cause of leaks is toilets with sticking float valves. Dye tablets kits are available at the Customer Service counter in City Hall. Another cause could be if you have an underground “stop and waste valve” that is not in the fully closed position or is leaking.

Who is responsible for my water service line? Your responsibility for your water service line starts at the meter, where the line attaches to the outlet meter coupling and continues to your house.

Do you know a good plumber? The City of Flagstaff does not make recommendations for particular plumbers. A good rule of thumb is to see if the plumber is licensed, bonded, and insured for residential and/or commercial work. Ask for references to find out about past work experience.

Where is my water shutoff valve located? Most homes have a water shutoff valve located inside the house where the water service line enters. The City’s valve is located next to the water meter in the meter box. A special valve key is required to operate the valve without damaging it.

What is the hardness of our water? It varies from 25 ppm to 325 ppm, depending on the source of production. The average throughout the system is 125 to 200 ppm (7.3 to 11.7 grains per gallon).

Who do I call if my water taste or smells bad? Call the water treatment plant at (928) 774-0262. This could happen if fire hydrants are being flushed, the system is undergoing construction, a new home is being plumbed, or a garden hose is left pressured up and on. Someone will be glad to help you determine the cause of the problem.