The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4's) program requires ongoing implementation of six minimum control measures, or best management practices (BMPs). Along with these BMPs are measurable goals designed to evaluate the effective removal of pollutants. These BMPs and goals are defined in our Stormwater Management Plan (PDF).
The six minimum control measures are:
- Construction site runoff control
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Pollution prevention / good housekeeping
- Post construction runoff control
- Public education and outreach
- Public participation / involvement
Notice of Intent
The City of Flagstaff filed a Notice of Intent (PDF) (NOI) to comply with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) five-year permit to implement these six minimum control measures. Our permit is currently in administrative continuation and will be renewed as soon as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issues new permit conditions.