GIS Internship - Summer 2018
Flagstaff Water Services is looking for a summer intern to work from May 14th to September 14th for 18 hours a week. This is a paid position. Email your resume to Tharrington@flagstaffaz.gov.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE WORK
Assists Water Services staff in all elements of the city’s GIS. Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values.
This position is FLSA exempt/non-exempt.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
• Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
• Assists Water Services staff in the following activities:
• Map production of Water Services staff
• Update meter locations based on written description
• Evaluate construction plans and other sources for meter locations in to the utilities GIS
• Help maintain a GIS-based inventory of the city’s utility system
• Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Ability to work with staff and the public in a professional manner Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather
• Ability to use computers and common office software
• Ability to read maps and plans
• Ability to understand and utilize an enterprise GIS system
• 1 year of college level GIS or related classwork.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
• Education or experience in one or more of the following areas is desirable: civil engineering, Geographic Information Systems, geography, geology, informatics.
• Incumbents of this position are subject to pre-employment drug screening, and post-employment random, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug/alcohol screening.
• Must have the ability to be contacted and to respond in a timely manner and be willing and able to perform emergency work on an evening, weekend, and 12-hour shift basis.
• Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.