Councilmember Regina Salas
I offer my whole being to serve our diverse Flagstaff citizens and communities. I’m a mother, a businesswoman and an immigrant living and thriving in Flagstaff for over 12 years. I own a local small business ConnectEdge, a local consulting company helping small business and local nonprofits with business development, revenue development, capacity building and development, and online reputation management.
My education and training include:
• NC State University - National Recreation & Park Association: Revenue Development and Management School, A two-year comprehensive professional development program on proven revenue management and development strategies and techniques, emphasis on marketing and events/program development
• ASU Lodestar Center for Philanthropy and Nonprofit Innovation: Nonprofit Development and Management training, workshop, and conference
• University of the Philippines School of Labor & Industrial Relations: Master of Industrial Relations, Thesis: “Industrial Relations Transformation: Philippine Airlines’ Flight to Industrial Peace and Profitability”
• St. Scholastica’s College, Manila, Philippines: Bachelor of Arts in English, Thesis: “Tolstoy’s Images of Women”, Campus Journalism Award of the Year Recipient
• Training and certification in Alternative Dispute Resolution and Mediation conducted by National Center for Mediation in the Philippines, Conflict Resolution Group funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
My professional experience includes:
• Over 25 years spanning public, private and nonprofit entities in two countries in administration and management, policy development project management, program coordination, budget preparation and management
• Over 20 years of effective multilingual communications in local, county and national public agencies working with environments characterized by ethno-linguistic, cultural, political and socio-economic diversity
• Over 15 years in multi-media, editorial and publication management, content strategy development, website management, including 10 years in social media strategy and engagement
• Over 12 years of nonprofit development and management, capacity building, donor cultivation and engagement, grant writing and monitoring, volunteer management, fundraising, and friend- raising
• 1 year in college faculty
Born and raised in the Philippines, I bring diverse perspectives and wide worldview to the City leadership. My extensive background and experience in government (Philippine Congress, City of San Fernando and Coconino County), business sector, academe, and nonprofits are uniquely valuable capabilities: community and economic development, policy research and analysis, legislative development, budgeting, fiscal management, resource mobilization, labor dispute mediation, fundraising and friend-raising.
I pursue pragmatic leadership with focus on local issues, affecting Flagstaff communities and residents, seeking balance and workable solutions through participation and consensus-building. My mantra is LIVE THRIVE FLAGSTAFF. We live, thrive, grow, and evolve in Flagstaff in spite of the challenges we experience, whether we have lived here since birth, for 2 years or for over 20 years. I have the energy and ability to bring people together, discover, develop and seize opportunities that serve us and our communities.
I bring forward the following priorities:
• BUSINESS RETENTION & EXPANSION: LOCAL SMALL BUSINESS, TOURISM, DIVERSIFY ECONOMIC SECTORS
• PLAN, MANAGE, SUSTAINABLE GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
• FOSTER SYNERGY AND COOPERATION WITH PUBLIC AGENCIES AND PRIVATE ENTITIES
• SUPPORT LOCAL NONPROFITS
• PROTECT NATURAL AREAS, OPEN SPACE AND DARK SKIES
• PURSUE QUALITY EDUCATION FOR CAREER/ENTREPRENEURSHIP READINESS AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
• IMPROVE EFFICIENCY, TRANSPARENCY AND FISCAL MANAGEMENT OF THE CITY
My passion for community advancement involves: Flagstaff Lodging, Restaurant and Tourism Assoc., Greater Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce, Flagstaff Independent Business Alliance, Local First Arizona, Flagstaff Communicators, Flagstaff CVB Marketing, Flagstaff Women’s Leadership Network, COCONUTS Robotics Team, United Way VITA, Victim Witness Services.
During my 7+ years stint in Coconino County as outreach coordinator for Parks and Recreation I helped build, organize, fundraise and mobilize volunteers for the nonprofit Friends of Coconino County Parks supporting the County's efforts on land conservation, park development, volunteerism and recreation. I was also part of the team that developed Fort Tuthill Master Plan and built the County park in Tuba City and redeveloped the County parks in Williams and Doney Park.