Transportation & Climate
Climate and transportation have a critical relationship: transportation is Flagstaff's largest contributor to climate change. Transportation is also one of our best opportunities for reducing our climate impact and becoming a stronger community.
Transportation-related climate solutions include:
- Bike share, which expands biking options for community members and visitors.
- Electric vehicles, which reduce greenhouse gas emissions from each car trip we take.
- Working with Mountain Line to increase use of the bus in Flagstaff, and
- Smart land use that creates housing and businesses that are close to each other, enabling shorter and more active trips.
Learn more about recent transportation developments below.
The Flagstaff City Council will discuss the proposed bike share system at their next meeting on September 3, 2019 at 6pm.
- Review the staff summary for the proposed bike share contract.
- Review the staff presentation on the proposed bike share contract (or see below).
The Flagstaff City Council is considering bringing a new long-term bike share system to Flagstaff. The City of Flagstaff and Northern Arizona University ("NAU") issued a joint Request for Proposals for a bike share company that can provide an innovative bike share system. The City and NAU seek to host a bike share system that:
- Supports the City’s Climate Action and Adaptation Plan goals
- Ensures that services are accessible and available to traditionally underserved members of the community
- Conducts community education on cycling safety, and
- Provides the best overall value to the Flagstaff community and NAU.
The proposed bike share system would provide the option of pedal bikes and e-bikes.
For more details on the proposed system, review the staff summary, check out staff’s presentation, or see the slideshow below.
If you have any comments or questions, please contact City Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Flagstaff supports the transition to electric vehicles.
Looking for a charging station in Flagstaff?
There are charging stations in the downtown area, on East Route 66, at many local hotels, and at NAU.
Find charging stations and information on usage and availability using any of the sites below: