Objective 1: Use Standards and Data to Drive Decision Making
Plant operator monitors treatment processes at Lake Mary Water Treatment Plant.
Secure community support for appropriate investment in water resources and infrastructure
Emphasize standards in decision making and communications
Use data to enhance operational performance and decision making
Maintain involvement in statewide water industry association
The Division’s Business Values provide a framework for planning and investing appropriately in water services and the environment. Appropriate investment is defined by specific standards, or levels of service. Planning and proposed investments should be based on the confluence of these standards and accurate data, specifically related to environmental conditions and the condition of water assets.
Flagstaff Water Services needs to prioritize the process of clarifying its standards, highlighting standards in communications and decision making, and enhancing the data available for decision making. With respect to data, the current challenge is to define the most relevant data and develop more automated ways to collect, store, organize, utilize, and share this data.
This is an ongoing but important effort to enhance performance and decision making.
1. Increase emphasis on standards in problem solving at all levels of the organization, effectively building a culture based on the Division’s standards
2. Preface all planning discussions and investment proposals with the relevant standards
3. Develop a critical information/data list for key functions, including water production, maintenance, water usage, water quality, stormwater management, and wastewater treatment
4. Automate the work-order system and the Bi-Weekly Reports
5. Use GIS, CMMS, SCADA, and other SMART technologies to optimize and automate the collection and sharing of data and information and billing for those services
6. Maximize the use of GIS to organize data with respect to geographic location
7. Employ accurate, organized usage data methods for billing and planning needs