STR Property Owners
State law requires owners of short-term rentals to provide the city with an emergency contact
Registration for each rental property is required. Questions on registration may be referred to ShortTermRental@flagstaffaz.gov
Read City Code here
Ensure the safety of the structure
The building must be an approved structure. For example, if you wish to convert your garage, workshop or other accessory structure into a vacation rental, you must get the required building permits before you begin remodeling and conversion work.
- We strongly encourage you to install basic safety measures such as: fire extinguishers, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, deadbolt locks, etc.
- Contact the Building Safety counter at 928-213-2627 or go to the Building Safety page for details.
Compliance with city ordinances and regulations is important to protect property owners engaged in short-term rentals, their neighbors, and the safety and quality of Flagstaff’s neighborhoods.
- The city is in the process of creating an inventory of properties listed for vacation rentals to ensure compliance.
- If you will be improving your property, some improvements may require a building permit or minor improvement permit.
- Property owners are responsible for ensuring that renters are complying with all applicable rules and regulations such as noise, nuisances, parking, maximum property allowances, recycling/trash, etc.
- Short-term rentals must remit sales tax and transient occupancy tax (BBB tax) at the same rates as hotels.
- These taxes must be paid regardless of whether or not you charge your guests tax in addition to the money they pay you for rent.
- As the property owner, it is your responsibility to collect the money and remit the taxes you collect to the Arizona Department of Revenue or ensure that a third-party vendor does this on your behalf.
- Failure to make timely tax payments can result in fines and interest.
- For more information about sales tax remittance contact ADOR or visit
For more information on the City of Flagstaff transaction privilege tax you may contact the Billing and Collections Department at 928-213-2255 or visit division main page.