Below are links to forms related to running as a City Council candidate. These forms are provided for your convenience. Please contact the City Clerk's Office to review candidate requirements and forms.
The information below is correct as of September 1, 2023. Be aware that there is a full legislative session prior to the 2024 election cycle. Changes may occur to existing election law and requirements as well as modifications to filing forms and procedures. It is the responsibility of the candidate to learn of any changes and follow current procedures.
How to Become an Official Write-In Candidate
A write-in candidate does not circulate and submit candidate petitions; consequently, the write-in candidate’s name does not appear on the ballot. Write-in candidates are allowed at both the primary and general elections subject to the limitations listed below. If the person meets the qualifications to be a write-in candidate, a voter may write the candidate’s name on the ballot and the vote will be counted. State law requires that any person wishing to become a write-in candidate for municipal office must be a resident of that municipality for at least 1 year prior to the election.
A person cannot be a write-in candidate at a primary election if the person:
- Filed a nomination petition for the current primary election for the office sought and failed to provide a sufficient number of valid petition signatures.
- Withdrew from the primary election after a challenge was filed.
- Was removed from or otherwise determined by court order to be ineligible for the primary election ballot.
A person cannot be a write-in candidate at a general election if the person:
- Ran in the immediately preceding primary election for that office and failed to be nominated.
- Filed a nomination petition without enough valid signatures to be placed on the ballot for that year’s primary election.
Write-in candidates must file a Write-In Nomination Form and a Financial Disclosure Statement. Write-in candidate paperwork can be filed beginning June 11, 2022 and must be filed no later than 5:00 p.m. on September 29, 2022.