Learn what the Building Safety Program is doing to maintain permitting, plan review, and inspection operations while keeping our customers and staff safe:
Join the Building Safety News & Updates Email List
Adopted Building Codes & Amendments
- 2019 Adopted Building Codes (PDF)
- 2019 Amendments to the Adopted Codes (PDF)
- 2019 Building Design Criteria (PDF) - International Residential Code (IRC)
- View the International Codes (unamended) on the International Code Council (ICC) website.
- View the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 70/National Electrical Code on the NFPA website.
- Building Inspection Scheduling and Information (PDF)
- For Building Inspection staff, please click the Directory link on the right side of this page.
- Read the COVID-19 Building Inspection Protocol (PDF).
- Have a question? Ask the Plan Reviewer of the Day Plan Reviewer of the Day Schedule (PDF)
- For Plan Review staff, please click the Directory link on the right side of this page.
Effective March 18, 2020 all permitting is handled electronically.
Read the Electronic Permitting Process (PDF).
- When is a building permit needed?
- I need a Residential Building Permit Application form (PDF) (also use this form for demolition permit).
- I need a Commercial Building Permit Application form (PDF) (also use this form for demolition permit).
- I need an Over-the-Counter Permit (PDF) for plumbing, electrical, mechanical or roofing only.
- Time limitation policy on building permit applications. (PDF)
- Building Permit Expiration Policy. (PDF)
- I need an application for a Manufactured/Mobile Home / Factory-Built Building / Temporary Construction Trailer Permit (PDF). If installing the manufactured structure on a permanent foundation or stairs, ramp, or deck are to be constructed or installed, a Commercial or Residential Building Permit is also required.
- Residential Building Permit Submittal Requirements, Checklist, and Review Process (PDF)
- Commercial Building Permit Submittal Requirements, Checklist, and Review Process (PDF)
- Window replacement information and submittal checklist (PDF)
- What is required for a Demolition Permit? (PDF)
- Use the Plan Resubmittal Form (PDF) for review resubmittals, deferred submittals, and submittal of revisions to Approved Plans.
- Building permit and plan review fee structure. (PDF) Please contact the Plan Reviewer of the Day (PDF) for assistance.
- Special Inspection Form (PDF)
- Permitting Unpermitted Construction (PDF)
- Fire sprinkler and alarm systems require a separate review and permit through the Flagstaff Fire Department
- NEW! Stormwater Resources for Contractors
- Please contact Current Planning/Planner of the Day for general inquiries regarding Zoning, Subdivisions, Concept and Site Plan, Conditional Use, Temporary Use, Lot Splits and Annexation. Please also see City of Flagstaff Zoning and Development Links
To request copies of Building Permits for a property, visit the Public Records page.
To request copies of current building permits, certificate of occupancy, zoning or planning questions, or to inquire if a property has applied for a permit, contact Administrative Specialist Tammy Bishop via email or at 928-213-2611.