Welcome to the Building Safety Program
211 West Aspen Avenue Phone: 928-213-2627 Service Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm
The COVID-19 situation is continuing to affect us all. Until the end of the threat, Building Safety & Code Compliance is implementing a temporary change in business procedures. Until further notice, we are taking the following steps to make sure that our customers and our staff minimize the potential for exposure.
We encourage all customers to please take advantage of our on-line services as much as possible, including digital submittals, requests for information, and access to our web services.
Meetings, when requested, will be held via telephone or electronically (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Skype, etc.)
Building Safety & Code Compliance staff will be utilizing flexible schedules, alternative work hours, and other means that may reduce their availability.
We will do our best to maintain the high level of service that you typically receive.
As always, YOU are the reason we are here, and we want your experience to be exceptional. During these extraordinary times we appreciate your patience and understanding.
The City continues to serve the public throughout situations like the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and is closely tracking the situation to ensure that City staff and the public are protected.
Effective 3/18/2020, as a result of the City Hall closure in response to the COVID-19 Virus, all new residential and commercial building permit applications and construction documents (drawings and supplemental information) for plan review are to be submitted electronically. Resubmittals, revisions to approved plans, and deferred submittals are to be submitted electronically.
Approved construction documents will be issued electronically. For projects that have paper copies of approved plans that are ready to issue, you will be contacted by staff to schedule an appointment for pick-up.
Read the Electronic Permitting process HERE.
Building Inspection Protocol
Below is an update on how Building Inspection services will be handled until further notice.
Beginning Monday, April 6th, we will begin offering to perform inspections of eligible, occupied residential & commercial facilities, together with our customers, using live video connections (such as FaceTime/ Skype/Teams). We are hopeful that this option serves the needs of all our customers, given the prevalence of video-capable mobile devices. Our inspectors will reach out to affected customers on Monday to begin scheduling these inspections and assess customers’ willingness to use this option. We will do our best to accommodate their needs. Eligible inspections are defined below.
In Person Inspections
Unoccupied New Construction
Inspections will proceed as requested by contractors. Inspectors will provide 10 minutes advance notice of arrival to the site so areas to be inspected may be cleared of workers. Only one site manager may accompany the inspector for the inspection, if desired. All individuals on site must remain a minimum of ten feet from the inspector at all times. Failure to clear inspection areas or maintain adequate distance from the inspector will result in a failed inspection and the inspector leaving the site immediately.
Inspection requests for occupied properties will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Where appropriate, inspections will be scheduled and completed, priority will be given to projects that impact the immediate usability of currently occupied spaces. Inspectors will provide 10 minutes advance notice of arrival to the property so the area needing inspection can be cleared. One individual may accompany the inspector for the inspection, if desired. All individuals on site must remain a minimum of ten feet from the inspector at all times. Children, individuals not accompanying the inspector, and pets shall remain in a fully separated space away from the inspector for the duration of the inspection. Failure to clear the inspection areas or maintain adequate distance from the inspector will result in a failed inspection and the inspector leaving the site immediately.
Video Inspection Program
During the COVID-19 situation, the purpose of the City of Flagstaff Video Inspection Program is to provide an alternative for eligible inspections, including limited re-inspections. Most building-related inspections (building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing & energy) may be considered for virtual inspections at the discretion of the building inspector. For inspections deemed too complex for virtual completion, the in-person inspection protocol will be applied.
Examples of Eligible Projects:
- Patio Covers/Decks
- Water Heaters
- Gas Line Extension for BBQ and Fire Pits excluding service lines
- Furnace & Air Conditioning installations
- Main Line Water Repairs
- Window Replacements
- Spa Circuit
- Internet connection
- Tape measure or any other tool to facilitate the inspection.
- Must have smart phone, iPad or laptop with webcam connected to WiFi or 4G wireless service.
Video Inspection Procedures:
- Applicant, or requestor, has an active valid permit for the work.
- The type of inspection is verified by the inspector as acceptable to be performed as a video inspection. If inspector determines type of request does not qualify for video inspection, the in-person inspection protocol will apply.
- Requestor has smartphone or tablet and has Skype, Duo, FaceTime, Zoom or Microsoft Teams or another app or web-based site approved by Building Safety.
- Requestor calls and requests an appointment for a video inspection with area inspector, providing the address, permit number, type of inspection requested, and email and phone contact of the requestor.
- Inspector calls or emails requestor at agreed upon scheduled date and time.
- Inspector and requestor join meeting on their devices and enable their video.
- Video inspections will begin by first showing the inspector the front of the house including house numbers. Requestor will then be instructed where to point the camera for remainder of inspection.
- Inspector sends a copy of correction notice within 30 minutes.
- Inspector updates Building Safety inspection records within same day as inspection.
Join the Building Safety News and Updates email list!
Send an email with your contact email address to: CDBldgSafetyUpdates@flagstaffaz.gov
Rescheduled: FREE 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
& Building Science WEBINAR April 21, 2020 *More information and registration HERE*
Effective March 18, 2020 all permitting is handled electronically.
Read the Electronic Permitting Process HERE.
- When is a building permit needed?
- I need a Residential Building Permit Application form (use this form for demolition permit).
- I need a Commercial Building Permit Application form (use this form for demolition permit).
- I need an Over-the-Counter Permit (plumbing, electrical, mechanical or roofing only). This permit application can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org but must be paid for and picked-up in person.
- Time limitation policy on building permit applications.
- Building Permit Expiration Policy.
- I need an application for a Manufactured/Mobile Home / Factory-Built Building / Temporary Construction Trailer Permit. If installing the manufactured structure on a permanent foundation or stairs, ramp, or deck are to be constructed or installed, a Commercial or Residential Building Permit (see above) is also required.
- Residential Building Permit Submittal Requirements, Checklist, and Review Process
- Commercial Building Permit Submittal Requirements, Checklist, and Review Process
- What is required for a Demolition Permit?
- Use the Plan Resubmittal Form for review resubmittals, deferred submittals, and submittal of revisions to Approved Plans.
- Building permit and plan review fee structure. Please contact the Plan Reviewer of the Day for assistance.
- How do I schedule a Building Inspection?
- Special Inspection Form
- Permitting Unpermitted Construction
- Fire sprinkler and alarm systems require a separate review and permit through the Flagstaff Fire Department
- NEW! Stormwater Resources for Contractors (scroll to bottom of page after clicking link)
Building Official: Amy Palmer, 928-213-2604, email@example.com
Building Permit Technician: Eilise Fisher, 928-213-2627, Eilise.Fisher@flagstaffaz.gov
Douglas Joseph, 928-213-2636, firstname.lastname@example.org
Elias Slover, 928-213-2646, Elias.Slover@flagstaffaz.gov
Victoria St. Clair, 928-213-2626, email@example.com
To request copies of Building Permits for a property, visit the Public Records page.
To request copies of current building permits, certificate of occupancy, zoning or planning questions, or to inquire if a property has applied for a permit, contact Tammy Bishop, Administrative Specialist, 928-213-2611, firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Inspection Manager: Rick Stanionis, 928-213-2628, email@example.com
Inspection Request Line:
Dial 928-779-7631 and follow the prompts. Monday - Friday until 3:00pm to schedule inspections for the following day. Inspections called in by 3:00pm on Friday will be scheduled for the following Monday. Only emergency inspections are performed on observed Holidays.
Nicholas Blain, 928-213-2624, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dave Clark, 928-213-2629, email@example.com
John Cleere, 928-213-2621, John.Cleere@flagstaffaz.gov
Ronny Corey, 928-213-2622, Ronny.Corey@flagstaffaz.gov
Lloyd Drinkard, 928-213-2625, Lloyd.Drinkard@flagstaffaz.gov
Richard Fritz, 928-213-2623, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Perkins, 928-213-2627, email@example.com