Adopted Building Codes & Amendments
- 2019 Adopted Building Codes (PDF)
- 2019 Amendments to the Adopted Codes (PDF)
- 2019 Building Design Criteria (PDF) - International Residential Code (IRC) only
- View the International Codes (unamended) on the International Code Council (ICC) website.
- View the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 70/National Electrical Code on the NFPA website.
Plan Reviewer of the Day
The purpose of the Plan Reviewer of the Day designation is to answer questions specific to the City’s adopted building codes. View the Plan Reviewer of the Day schedule
- For general building permit and building code questions, call 928-213-2627 or send an email to: Courtney.West@flagstaffaz.gov
- For building inspection questions, call 928-213-2628 or send an email: email@example.com
Construction Permit Statistics & Reports
Citizen Access Portal
EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2023, ALL PERMITS MUST BE SUBMITTED USING OUR CITIZEN ACCESS PORTAL, Citizen Access (flagstaffaz.gov). WE WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PERMIT APPLICATIONS AT THE CD COUNTER. IDS submittals will continue to be accepted via the CDfrontcounter@flagstaffaz.gov email.
All building permits (application submittal, plan review, payments, and issuance) are handled electronically through the CITIZEN ACCESS PORTAL.
Assistance with Citizen Access
**IMPORTANT NOTICE August 15, 2022: Effective October 1, 2022 – City of Flagstaff will no longer allow roof and floor truss calculations to be a deferred submittal on residential single family projects (1 and 2 family dwelling). Truss companies no longer have a large backlog and are able to get these documents to the applicant in a timely manner. Starting October 1st, if a submittal doesn’t include roof and/or floor truss calculations, the submittal will be returned and placed on an administrative hold until calculations are received. **
Applications and Forms
- I need a Residential Building Permit Application (PDF) (also use this form for demolition permit + complete the Demolition Questionnaire found below). Please also see "Important Notice August 15, 2022" above regarding roof and floor trusses.
- I need a Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF) (also use this form for demolition permit + complete the Demolition Questionnaire found below).
- I need a Manufactured/Mobile Home / Factory-Built Building / Temporary Construction Trailer Permit Application (PDF). If installing the manufactured structure on a permanent foundation or stairs, ramp, or deck are to be constructed or installed, a Commercial or Residential Building Permit is also required.
- I need an Over-the-Counter Permit Application (PDF) for plumbing, electrical, mechanical or roofing only.
- I need the Demolition Questionnaire / What is required for a Demolition Permit? (PDF)
- I need the Plan Resubmittal Form (PDF) for review resubmittals, deferred submittals, and submittal of revisions to Approved Plans.
Resources and Information
- When is a building permit required?
- Residential Building Permit Plan Review Process and Timeframes (PDF) Revised 02/23/2023
- Residential Plan Review Administrative Completeness Checklist (PDF) Revised 09/06/2022
- Commercial Building Permit Submittal Requirements, Checklist, and Review Process (PDF) Revised 02/23/2023
- Window replacement information and submittal checklist (PDF)
- Change of Occupancy information (PDF)
- Building permit and plan review fee structure. (PDF)
- Police and Fire Development Fees (PDF) effective January 19, 2021.
- Permitting Unpermitted Construction (PDF)
- Fire sprinkler and alarm systems require a separate review and permit through the Flagstaff Fire Department
- Stormwater Resources for Contractors
- Please contact Current Planning/Planner of the Day for general inquiries regarding property zoning, property setbacks, subdivisions, Concept and Site Plan Review, Conditional Use permits, Temporary Use Permits, Lot Splits and Annexation. Please also see City of Flagstaff Zoning and Development Links (PDF)
- High Occupancy Housing (HOH) Zoning Code may affect your residential project - including single-family dwellings. Read more information on the High Occupancy Housing Zoning Code website.
To request copies of Building Permits for a property, visit the Public Records page.