Asbestos Disposal Options
Materials containing asbestos come in two forms: Friable and Non-Friable
Instructions for Friable Asbestos Waste Disposal
Waste Management - Painted Desert Landfill
9001 N. Porter Rd.
Joseph City, AZ 86032
Waste Management - Barbara Pinkerton
Senior Technical Service Representative
Instructions for Non-Friable Asbestos Waste Disposal
Non-friable asbestos is accepted and can be disposed of at the City of Flagstaff - Cinder Lake Landfill at a rate of $44.42/ton plus a $20.00 one-time handling fee (Cinder Lake Landfill Fee Schedules) by following the steps below:
*NOTE: Friable asbestos materials ARE NOT accepted at the City of Flagstaff - Cinder Lake Landfill
- Download and print the (Non-friable Asbestos Waste Acceptance Application) or retrieve a hard-copy from the Cinder Lake Landfill at 6770 E Landfill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004.
- Scan and e-mail the completed form to the Landfill Senior Project Manager at email@example.com or deliver to the Cinder Lake Landfill at 6770 E Landfill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86004.
- The Non-friable Asbestos Waste Acceptance Application will be reviewed. If approved, a signed copy will be returned back to the Operator.
- Once the application is approved, a Waste Shipment Record must be picked up by the Operator. Waste Shipment Records can be retrieved at the following location:
Contact - Matt Morales, (928) 213-2123
Cinder Lake Landfill
6770 E. Landfill Rd.
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
*NOTE: If you would like to have the Waste Shipment Record mailed to you, please contact Matt Morales at (928) 213-2123.
- Attach the Waste Shipment Record and the Non-friable Waste Acceptance Application to the disposal bin. Waste Shipment Records and Non-Friable Waste Acceptance Applications must be legible and in good condition. Therefore, it is advised that you place the paperwork in a sealed, waterproof container.
- Assure that the non-friable asbestos material is properly handled and wrapped:
- The non-friable asbestos material must be thoroughly wet with amended water prior to being wrapped.
- The material must be wrapped in 6-millimeter poly bags and tightly sealed with duct tape. If the material is heavy (i.e., transite pipe), has sharp edges, or may easily puncture the poly wrap, a double layer of poly wrap may be necessary.
- The scale house attendant at the Cinder Lake Landfill will inspect the load to ensure it is properly wrapped.
- The wrapped non-friable asbestos shall not be mixed with other solid waste. Mixed loads will not be accepted by transporters nor Cinder Lake Landfill.
- Containers holding non-friable asbestos materials shall be carefully unloaded and placed in a designated location at Cinder Lake Landfill. Dumping using a hydraulically lifted bed of a truck is not permitted as the poly wrap may be torn open.
- If you are not using a City of Flagstaff disposal bin, make sure your delivery driver takes the signed Non-friable Waste Acceptance Application and the Waste Shipment Record with the waste delivery.
- If you are using a City of Flagstaff disposal bin and want to schedule a pick-up, call the Environmental Services Office at (928) 774-0668 and make sure to provide a copy of the signed Non-friable Waste Acceptance Application and the Waste Shipment Record to the transporter. Please be sure to clarify if you would like the disposal bin emptied and removed, or emptied and returned.
- When disposal is complete, the Landfill Manager will sign the Waste Shipment Record and mail it to the Operator within 30 days.
For additional information or questions on asbestos disposal please call Cinder Lake Landfill at (928) 213-2123.