Who is required to have a backflow prevention assembly?

This is determined on a case by case basis by the City’s Cross Connection Control Program. Backflow assemblies are generally required for commercial and industrial customers where potential for contamination of potable water sources exists. Residents where nonpotable water (such as reclaimed water) is used on site are also required to install backflow assemblies. State regulations exempt single-family residences used solely for residential purposes if there are no hazards present. New facilities must install assemblies in a hot box outside of the building (unless it is for the fire riser — then it can go in the fire riser room with adequate drainage to the sanitary sewer), as close to the water meter as possible. Copies of City Ordinance #7-03-001-0015 and State Administrative Code rule R18-4-215 are available in the City Clerk’s office or from the Industrial Pretreatment Program at (928) 213-2475.

Show All Answers

1. What is backflow?
2. What causes backflow?
3. What is backsiphonage?
4. What is backpressure?
5. How can backflow be prevented?
6. What is a backflow assembly?
7. How is an assembly approved?
8. Who is required to have a backflow prevention assembly?
9. How do I know if I need a backflow prevention assembly?
10. Is there a general compliance schedule and process?
11. Who can install a backflow prevention assembly?
12. Where should a backflow prevention assembly be located?
13. Who is responsible for testing and maintaining the backflow assembly?
14. I have multiple testing dates for the backflows at my property. Can I consolidate the dates?
15. I have an irrigation or fire sprinkler backflow assembly I no longer use. Can I remove it?