Who is required to have a backflow prevention assembly?

Federal and State law require that water suppliers protect their water systems from contamination. State regulations exempt single family residences used solely for residential purposes from assembly requirements if there are no hazards present. However, residences used for other purposes or with non-potable water used on site, such as reclaimed water, as well as commercial and industrial customers, are required by City Ordinance #7-03-001-0015 and State Administrative Code rule R18-4-115 to install and maintain backflow prevention assemblies. (Copies of Ordinance #7-03-001-0015 are available in the Flagstaff City Clerk's office or from the City of Flagstaff's Industrial Waste Monitoring Section at (928) 213-2475). When a determination is made by the Industrial Waste Monitoring Section that the potable water system may be subject to contamination through backflow or backsiphonage, a backflow prevention assembly will be required. Flagstaff Industrial Waste Monitoring Section makes these decisions on a case by case basis. New facilities are required to install the backflow prevention assemblies in a hot box outside the building (unless it is for the fire riser and then it can go in the fire riser room with adequate drainage to the sanitary sewer) as close to the water meter as possible.

Show All Answers

1. How do I setup a new water account?
2. How do I transfer my account when I move?
3. Where does our water come from?
4. Where can I buy water that I can haul?
5. How do I get my water turned off if I have a leak?
6. How can I close my account?
7. Where is my water meter?
8. What is the phone number for Blue Stake?
9. What's my water pressure?
10. Why is my water bill so high?
11. What is the City's back-bill and refund policy?
12. How is my sewer rate calculated?
13. I had a big leak or other unexplained usage at my property. Is there anything you can do to help me with the bill?
14. Who is responsible for my water service line?
15. Do you know a good plumber?
16. Where is my water shutoff valve located?
17. Where did my water pressure go?
18. What are the phone numbers for the plants?
19. Can tours be made of the City's water and wastewater plants?
20. What is the hardness of our water?
21. Who do I call if my water taste or smells bad?
22. Who repairs my broken/plugged sewer service line?
23. How do I get a new sewer tap?
24. Where is my sewer tap?
25. Do I need a grease trap?
26. Can I get reclaimed water to my home?
27. What waste materials are accepted at the Wildcat Hill Water Reclamation Plant
28. When does the Wildcat Hill Wastewater Treatment Plant accept waste?
29. What is backflow?
30. What causes backflow?
31. What is backsiphonage?
32. What is backpressure?
33. How can backflow be prevented?
34. What is a backflow assembly?
35. How is an assembly approved?
36. Who is required to have a backflow prevention assembly?
37. How do I know if I need a backflow prevention assembly?
38. Is there a general compliance schedule and process?
39. Who can install a backflow prevention assembly?
40. Where should a backflow prevention assembly be located?
41. Who is responsible for the testing and maintenance of the backflow assembly?
42. Who provides Backflow Assembly Testing
43. How do I get a permit to use a reclaimed water loadout station?
44. How do I apply for a turf rebate?
45. How do I get a high efficiency toilet (HET) rebate?
46. How much is the deposit/why do I see a $50 charge on my billing statement?
47. Are rebates available for washing machines or hot water re-circulators?
48. What is the Environmental Management fee on my bill?
49. What is the Water Resource and Infrastructure Protection Fee?